Monday, June 11, 2007

Moving forward on my stationary bike

Over the years I've heard lots of comparisons drawn between life and treadmills. I don't want to be just moving for the sake of moving and not really going anywhere. I figured this illustration would hold true with stationary exercises bikes as well. And then I got one.

A few months ago I won a free membership to a small ladies gym. But a month after I started working out there it closed up. I thought about joining another gym but our family has what I call "extreme childcare issues" and it just didn't seem practical right now. So I bought a bike. I ride for a half hour or so in the afternoon while my babies are napping. My bike sits on my back deck and I really enjoy the fresh air and the peacefulness of my quiet backyard. But best of all, I can read. No one bothers me when I'm on my bike (at least in theory). I just sit there and pedal - and read. It is my quiet time to read and think. I just finished reading Generation NeXt Parenting by Tricia Goyer, thanks to my time on my bike. (If you were born in the 60's or 70's - Generation X - I highly recommend this book. So great to have someone OF our generation write a book specifically FOR our generation. More than just a parenting book...)

This weekend I started reading You're Late Again, Lord:The Impatient Woman's Guide to God's Timing by Karon Phillips Goodman. (Those of you who know me well are already laughing, aren't you?) The beginning talks about the difference between waiting patiently and waiting purposefully. Waiting on God doesn't mean just sitting still and waiting for him to move. It means to wait with purpose. While I wait I need to do what he wants me to be doing. Leaning on him, growing in him, moving closer to him. Serving him. Using my gifts. He didn't make me to sit still! Duh!!! I can put my hope in the Lord and wait on him. Then I will be able to renew my strength and soar on wings like eagles. I can run and not grow weary and walk and not be faint. I can ride my stationary bike in my backyard and keep moving forward!

No comments: