Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Like a Mommy Bird...

I often have people say things to me like, "I just don't know how you do it with four kids," or "I could never manage with a big family like you do." I don't really know how to reply to comments like that. I'm not Supermom. I just do what I need to do because I am the mom of these kids. Sure, it's hard, but sometimes you just "do" because that is what you were made to do.

This spring we had a bird's nest in our front yard inhabited by a mommy bird. She sat so faithfully on those eggs. I was sure the noise of the kids playing right next to her tree would scare her away. But she just stayed there. No matter how close they went to the tree to look at her she just stayed there. When I saw Craig getting ready to mow the lawn I was sure that would scare her away. I mean, really, wouldn't she just give up and fly away with the noise of that lawn mower right beneath her? Nope. She just stayed there on her eggs because that was what she was made to do.

God has a plan for each of us. Thankfully his plan for me is different than his plan for you. (You're probably thinking the same thing, aren't you?) But I belive he has put somehting special inside each of us mommies - the ability to just "do" what we need to do because we are the mom. Just like the mommy bird had the ability to do her job - sit on those eggs - no matter what distractions or scary noises came along, God will enable us to do our jobs as moms - no matter what distractions or scary cirumstances come our way.

1 comment:

Megan said...

You are very right. And I'm glad you have a blog! This will make it easier to keep in touch with you, haha. My "reliant" emailing has not been so reliant lately.

I hope all is well with you!! I definitely miss seeing you and your family... and MOPS.... Tell everyone I say hi!