Sunday, August 9, 2009

Crucial Conversations (Colossians Conclusion)

I knew I was in for a great morning when our pastor opened his sermon by saying that the application for today's passage was TALK! What a great message for me!

Today's passage was Colossians 4:2-18. Paul wraps up his letter to the Colossians by telling them to TALK with God, TALK with the world, and TALK with each other.

God calls us to change the world for Him...three conversations at a time.
(Three conversations that work together and happen at the same time!)

Verses 2-4
2Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 3And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.


In this passage we are instructed to pray. A question to ponder: Does prayer work? What if talking to God is like talking to my spouse? Do I always get what I want for it to "work"? Maybe the point of talking isn't always to get what I want...

Verses 5-6
5Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.


Earn the right to be heard. But, be heard!

Verse 7 through the end are Paul's final greetings, instructions, and affirmations within the church community. They are heartfelt and specific, directed toward individuals living and worshiping in community. The message here: personal relationships with individual people are important.

Thoughts to ponder this week...How much are we talking to God about people and to people about God? Who are you talking to today?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this message and what you've been learning lately!


Message by Jay Hull, Covenant Presbyterian Church

No comments: